First question! From Peanut:
How about *really* big clothing? Bigger than size 32? Where does one go if you're bigger than the biggest sizes at the big size clothing stores? What do other super-size women do?
This is actually something I've been wanting to write about forever and ever and now is the time. Thanks for asking, Peanut! I have lots of links for you. I really should categorize these more nicely...
- Catherines goes up to a size 36, at least on their website.
- Jessica London goes up to size 34.
- Making it Big goes up to size 44.
- Woman Within goes up to size 44.
- Roaman's goes up to size 48.
- Zaftique goes up to size 38.
- The W+ sizes at Silhouettes goes up to a 44 misses.
- Big on Batik goes up to size 40.
- Just My Size has some items up to size 40.
- Myles Ahead goes up to 5X.
- Junonia goes up to size 40.
- Peggy Lutz carries up to size 40.
- Plus Woman goes up to size 10X.
- Love your Peaches Co. carries up to size 36.
- Baby Becoming has plus size maternity clothes up to size 6X.
- Sydney's Closet has occasion dresses up to size 44.
- Swimsuits for All has swimwear up to size 34.
Now keep in mind that sizes can vary greatly between retailers so always, always check the size chart and the company's return policy before ordering.
The challenge with extended plus sizes, aside just from the lack of availability, is that retailers don't invest in creating fashion forward pieces in larger sizes. It's obvious advice, but you can update a basic pant/top outfit with accessories. A beautiful bag, a few select pieces of jewelry or a colorful scarf can take you from blah to fantastic, especially if your clothing fits well and makes you feel good.